About Me

2 years to conceive a baby is the last thing I thought could happen to us...

Let me tell you a bit about myself. I'm 25 and my husband is 27. We have been together since Oct 13, 2000 - I was 16 & he was 18. We've got married Dec 24, 2006. We started trying to conceive in February 2007 with no success.

In September 2007 we were referred to our current doctor (RE) and she specializes in Gynecologic Reproductive Endocrinology & Infertility MSc, MD, FRCSC at fertility clinic in Toronto. Me and my husband did many test which all came back with great results. We were tested through Sonohysterogram, Laporoscopy, Hysteroscopy, Hysterosalpingogram (HSG), Semen DNA Fragmentation to name a few...

We did 3 IUI's; Then we decided to start doing IVF to increase our chances. Unfortunately, we found out that I have unexplained poor response to medications. We spent over $36,000 out of the pocket just in 2007 & 2008 for all our procedures. We had 4 failed IVF attempts, some canceled after weeks of expensive injections. Every cycle was a heartbreak and the pain never goes away.

Our diagnosis is UNEXPLAINED INFERTILITY
Unexplained poor responder
Unexplained elevated prolactin
  • Natural - Feb.’07-Oct. ’07;
  • IUI#1 - Nov '07- Clomid 50mg (cd5-9); HCG; Progesterone 400g;
  • IUI#2 - Jan '08- Clomid 50mg (cd5-9); HCG; Progesterone 400mg;
  • IVF#1 - Long Agonist Protocol; Feb '08 - BCP; Mar '08 - Suprefact / Puregon 175IU; Canceled after 9 weeks of injections due to 3.2cm cyst on the right ovary
  • IVF#2 - Long Agonist Protocol; April '08 BCP; May '08 - Puregon 200 IU/Orgalutran 250 mg; ER May 14 - ET May 17; 5 eggs-3 mature-2 fertilized; Day 3 transfer; transferred two 8-cell & 7-cell grade 1 embies; Progesterone 600mg;
  • Natural - June ’08; Aspirin 81mg/Pre-Seed;
  • IVF#3 - Short Antagonist Protocol; July '08 - Canceled after 10 days of injections due to elevated prolactin 36.6 & poor response; only 8 follicles and not developing
  • IVF#4 - Short Antagonist Protocol; Aug/Sept' 08 -Gonal-f (225iu)/Menopur (150iu); Cetrotide (250mg);Ovidrel 10,000 IU; Progesterone in oil injections (50mg), Aspirin (81mg) Cancelled after 12 days of injections (less than 7 follicles); Later converted to IUI#3
  • IVF#5 - Estrogen Priming with MicroFlare Protocol; Oct '08 - Start Estrace Oct5 (7DPO); Stop next CD2 after AF (Oct11) start stim with Gonal-F (450iu) & microdose of Lupron/Suprefact (0.05iu); Took Aspirin 81 mg; Almost canceled due to poor response after 13 days of injections (only 6 follicles developing) + ovarian cysts; ER on cycle day 21 (!!!) after 18 days of stims; Got 10 eggs; 7 mature; 5 fertilized with ICSI; Day 5 transfer of 2 blastocysts (2AB both); one was hatching; None to freeze, all arrested; Crinone 8% & Estrace 6mg after ET
  • Greater than 50% of patients achieve pregnancy on their first IVF cycle.
  • Close to 50% of patients who had a second cycle also achieved pregnancy.
  • Finally, 40% of patients who did a third cycle achieved a clinical pregnancy.

Statistically, most people have become pregnant by their third cycle.

Friday, November 21, 2008

Beta#3 - 19 DPO (14dp5dt) & 1st U/S (4w5d)

I got it I got my 3rd beta (hCG) and u/s

When the technician took me in the room, she sounded kinda annoyed with me and kept on mumbling that she has no clue why the heck we are doing this ultrasound because I am only 4 weeks and 5 days today and there is absolutely nothing there to see...

She was wrong....

They failed to establish the reason for my bleeding but they found two gestational sacs in my uterus. I am not sure if we are having twins for sure just yet because I have heard of many girls who have gone through IVF and had vanishing twin (see below). I am also way to early to even know if both gestational sacs will have a baby or not. Conclusion will be drawn at 7 week u/s with heartbeats, I guess.

Needless to say, the ultrasound tech was extremely surprised to even see anything. I did not even expect to see anything but again, I did some research online and all websites say that a transvaginal ultrasound should be able to see at least a gestational sac once the hCG levels have reached between 1,000 - 2,000mIU/ml.

I was very excited, but to tell you the truth, me and my husband are so freaked out by my bleeding that we almost try to imagine that I am not pregnant just in case something happens. I feel like I have this mood switched on, for self-preservation. I am scared to think I am pregnant because i am scared to death that if I loose it I will not know how to deal with the pain.

One gestational sac is measuring at 4 weeks and 1 day
Second gestational sac is measuring at 4 weeks and 0 days
Beta (19DPO)(14dp5dt) is 2,073

More than doubled again. I guess statistically everything is ok, just this annoying bleeding is bothering me so much. I am so scared I feel like this is just a sweet dream that I will eventually wake up from.

What is vanishing twin?
Once a twin pregnancy has been diagnosed by an very early ultrasound, about 1 in 5 of these will subsequently disappear before 12 weeks. When one of a twin conception fails to survive at this early stage, the remaining twin continues to develop normally and hormone levels stay high which prevents a miscarriage, though sometimes there is some vaginal bleeding. As the remaining twin grows, its sac spreads to fill the uterus and the contents of the other sac are absorbed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hooray!! Good for you for going to check out your sacs and not taking no for an answer momma bear! way to go! Don;t worry about your spotting. I'm 6 weeks and 3 days pregnant and had spotting for two weeks starting at 11dp3dt. It finally stopped last Saturday and my betas are fine. I tried to get in for an us early but they said that they will not take me until I'm at least 7 weeks. I was originally scheduled for an 8 week us but they moved me up a week after all of my kicking and screaming. LOL
Your spotting will stop. There are so many theories on it. Old blood gathering at your cervix and gravity getting rid of it. Why? Due to all of the progesterone that an IVF patient takes to thicken the lining. It gets too thick and mother nature takes care of it. It is old and can't hurt baby. It is actually considered a great sign that you have given baby more than enough soil to grow. If it is implantation bleeding, than it happens earlier and then stops after a few days. Also a good sign. If it is your body saying "oh yeah..I kinda get that I don't need a period this month...but it will take more HCG to convince me since I'm hard wired to have a period every month". lol Again, not harmful, just your body beign slow on the take. lol
Enjoy your wonderful pregnancy girl, this ride is terrible. If I could be a poster child for IVF, my slogan would be "Hurry up and wait". lol Everything is a wait as we rush to the finish, convincing ourselves along the way that our BFP is too good to be real as a self defense mechanism. Damn I wish I had gotten knocked up after a good drunkin night with my DH when we were not even prepared for it! LOL
YOU ARE PROBABLY HAVING TWINS!!! Imagine that? lol Remember, by getting excited, you will not run the risk of a potential bigger let down. That is not true. If we are let down, it will have the same intensity because of what we have invested emotionally, physically, and financially anyway so you may as well enjoy and get pumped!! Good vibes will be good for your twins anyway.