About Me

2 years to conceive a baby is the last thing I thought could happen to us...

Let me tell you a bit about myself. I'm 25 and my husband is 27. We have been together since Oct 13, 2000 - I was 16 & he was 18. We've got married Dec 24, 2006. We started trying to conceive in February 2007 with no success.

In September 2007 we were referred to our current doctor (RE) and she specializes in Gynecologic Reproductive Endocrinology & Infertility MSc, MD, FRCSC at fertility clinic in Toronto. Me and my husband did many test which all came back with great results. We were tested through Sonohysterogram, Laporoscopy, Hysteroscopy, Hysterosalpingogram (HSG), Semen DNA Fragmentation to name a few...

We did 3 IUI's; Then we decided to start doing IVF to increase our chances. Unfortunately, we found out that I have unexplained poor response to medications. We spent over $36,000 out of the pocket just in 2007 & 2008 for all our procedures. We had 4 failed IVF attempts, some canceled after weeks of expensive injections. Every cycle was a heartbreak and the pain never goes away.

Our diagnosis is UNEXPLAINED INFERTILITY
Unexplained poor responder
Unexplained elevated prolactin
  • Natural - Feb.’07-Oct. ’07;
  • IUI#1 - Nov '07- Clomid 50mg (cd5-9); HCG; Progesterone 400g;
  • IUI#2 - Jan '08- Clomid 50mg (cd5-9); HCG; Progesterone 400mg;
  • IVF#1 - Long Agonist Protocol; Feb '08 - BCP; Mar '08 - Suprefact / Puregon 175IU; Canceled after 9 weeks of injections due to 3.2cm cyst on the right ovary
  • IVF#2 - Long Agonist Protocol; April '08 BCP; May '08 - Puregon 200 IU/Orgalutran 250 mg; ER May 14 - ET May 17; 5 eggs-3 mature-2 fertilized; Day 3 transfer; transferred two 8-cell & 7-cell grade 1 embies; Progesterone 600mg;
  • Natural - June ’08; Aspirin 81mg/Pre-Seed;
  • IVF#3 - Short Antagonist Protocol; July '08 - Canceled after 10 days of injections due to elevated prolactin 36.6 & poor response; only 8 follicles and not developing
  • IVF#4 - Short Antagonist Protocol; Aug/Sept' 08 -Gonal-f (225iu)/Menopur (150iu); Cetrotide (250mg);Ovidrel 10,000 IU; Progesterone in oil injections (50mg), Aspirin (81mg) Cancelled after 12 days of injections (less than 7 follicles); Later converted to IUI#3
  • IVF#5 - Estrogen Priming with MicroFlare Protocol; Oct '08 - Start Estrace Oct5 (7DPO); Stop next CD2 after AF (Oct11) start stim with Gonal-F (450iu) & microdose of Lupron/Suprefact (0.05iu); Took Aspirin 81 mg; Almost canceled due to poor response after 13 days of injections (only 6 follicles developing) + ovarian cysts; ER on cycle day 21 (!!!) after 18 days of stims; Got 10 eggs; 7 mature; 5 fertilized with ICSI; Day 5 transfer of 2 blastocysts (2AB both); one was hatching; None to freeze, all arrested; Crinone 8% & Estrace 6mg after ET
  • Greater than 50% of patients achieve pregnancy on their first IVF cycle.
  • Close to 50% of patients who had a second cycle also achieved pregnancy.
  • Finally, 40% of patients who did a third cycle achieved a clinical pregnancy.

Statistically, most people have become pregnant by their third cycle.

Sunday, January 4, 2009

It was worth it, but I'm bitter...

First off I want to send hugs and sympathy to all those who are still trying, those who go though ups and downs of this infertility roller coaster, those who one day will be wonderful loving mothers. I do know the sorrow and disappointment you are feeling and I am thinking of you with the warmest and best of wishes for your turn to come, each and every one of you.

Looking back, I still feel so bitter. I feel bitter because I had to pay to become pregnant. I had to endure many procedures and injections. I know I am lucky that it finally happened to me, while some women are still struggling. So why do I feel so jealous when I find out when someone got pregnant on their first try? I feel a sudden rush of emotions and can barely take a breath because tears swell my eyes. Why can’t I let it go? The truth is, I don’t know if I ever will. When I watch “Baby Stories” on Discovery Health where a couple had to go through infertility treatments, I cry. I cry with them, for them, because I still feel the pain. It still hurts…


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there, I just wanted to say how much you have inspired me with your story! I noticed you blogged more often prior to your PG-is there a reason you don't as much anymore? Could it be that the need isn't there anymore? I must tell you that you have a remarkable blog. I suffer from infertility myself-and you have given me sooo much hope and education from the knowledge you share on your blog. Best wishes, and hoping that you continue to post your PG aswell!!!

Louise :)

Nadine said...

i am sorry to read that you still feel bitter, and I hope that some day that passes.
I will never ever ever be pregnant, and I get why you feel bitter - I feel bitter when people get pregnant - because I will never be there, but, I am wokring on it and if I can be a mother that is all that counts.